What's the only country whose name begins with the letter Q?

And the answer: Qatar.

Photo courtesy: Fragomen.

Located on the Arabian peninsula, Qatar is a small country that's almost completely surrounded by the Persian Gulf (its one land border is with Saudi Arabia). This tiny nation of 2.6 million people has the third-highest GDP per capita in the world.

Qatar is a bustling country with interest to spare – aside from its extreme terrain (deserts, flat land, no rivers and no lakes), over 80% of Qatar's population calls the capital city Doha home. With an economy born out of the pearling industry, Qatar now finds its wealth in the petroleum and gas industry, as the region holds about 13% of the world's total gas reserves.

Interestingly, only about 12% of the entire country is made up of people who are Qatari citizens. The remaining 88% is made up of expats from all over the world, mainly from other Middle Eastern nations, India, Philippines, and other various South Asian regions. This is somewhat due to the fact that obtaining citizenship has many requirements including (but not limited to) 25 years residence, proven sustainable income, and functional knowledge of the Arabic language.

Qatar is known for having some of the most elaborate Dhow boats, which are modeled after ancient fishing and travel boats used by Qatari tribes. Other forms of cultural life in the city of Duha are rich, with widely practiced traditional forms of music and dance, ceremonies and celebrated formal and informal dress.

Currently, Qatar is on track to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup, making them the smallest nation to do so, as well as the first from the Middle East.

To take a virtual look around the city, check out the video below.

Question of the Day Mobile App


Learn something new everyday. Get the Question of the Day delivered to your inbox each day!

You've successfully subscribed to Question of the Day
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to Question of the Day
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.