Musical Ornaments

In music, what's the term for a rapid alternation between two adjacent notes?

And the answer: trill.    

In printed music, a trill is seen above a note with either the letters tr, or with a plus sign. This is a signal to the musician to play the note, and then rapidly go back and forth between the printed note and the note above it.

Image credit: Music Theory Academy

Also known as embellishments or flourishes, musical ornaments are added to decorate melodic lines. Most ornaments are performed as "fast notes" around a central note, and can vary widely in number depending on the composer or musical epoch. Baroque music, for one, is a style and period in music history that is characterized by extensive ornamentation. While most of these extraneous notes were improvised, Bach was the first composer to begin recording them on sheet music. Others, such as Handel, Vivaldi and Corelli, followed suit (or should we say suite?).

Aside from the trill, there are many other forms of musical ornamentation. A mordent, for one, is similar to a trill in execution but consists of a single or a few alternations rather than many. Meanwhile, an appoggiatura comes from the Italian verb appoggiare, meaning "to lean upon," and is a note placed on the beat before a regular note. There are also acciaccaturas (grace notes), turns, glissandos, and more.

Learn more about musical ornamentation below.

Question of the Day Mobile App


Learn something new everyday. Get the Question of the Day delivered to your inbox each day!

You've successfully subscribed to Question of the Day
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to Question of the Day
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.